Friday, October 5, 2012

Well, every journey begins with a first step. May the good Lord be with us. Onward! -Oliver S. Lindenbrook: Journey to the Center of the Earth


Part of Downtown Durham (very different from Downtown LA)


As my second week here draws to a close, I realize how wibbly-wobbly time really is. I know I haven't been here very long, but I feel like I've never been in California either, and if you told me that the rainy day when my plane arrived in Heathrow was five years ago, or even never happened at all, I would be inclined to believe you.

Statue in the city square

That being said, how have the last couple weeks gone? Well, it's been a roller coaster, that's for dang sure. The first couple days were awful. I couldn't sleep, I couldn't eat, and I couldn't comprehend being anywhere for so long that wasn't home. In the grand scheme of things a year isn't a long time, but when you're looking at it from the beginning and you don't have the power to do anything yet, it feels like staring down the end of a VERY long tunnel where the light at the end is barely perceptible and completely unreachable. And that's hard. It was really hard when Dad left but I know it was necessary, even though he kept threatening to stay. I think he's completely done with Socal heat and was really ready to call Mom, tell her to pack and move out here where it hasn't broken 60 F the entire time.

This is what a real riverside looks like


Since then however, things have gotten a bit better, and old stresses have been exchanged for new ones (isn't that always the way). While I still miss home, I now have my own room at St. Mary's College which, while small, is my own, and for now that's enough. The food is...passable, although I did have a pretty atrocious attempt at Mexican last night. Kidney beans with taco seasoning and onions on rice is NOT Mexican. If I can ever get my hands on the proper ingredients, it's going down. The people here are so sweet and extremely helpful, which makes being a little lost American a bit easier. Plus I met a bunch of other international students who are all in the same boat, which makes dealing and adjusting smoother. There are people here from everywhere! Besides the UK there's Singapore, Dubai, Norway, Tokyo, Panama, the States, Canada, Germany, the Isle of Man, and many more I can't remember at the moment.

Part of St. Mary's College

Right now probably the most nerve wracking thing is school itself. Even though I don't start classes until Monday, the system here is so foreign, I'm having trouble understanding anything. The program description for the MA in Archaeology said no prior education in arch. required. It failed to mention however, that it would be REALLY REALLY helpful. I feel so behind and unprepared but then I haven't even started classes yet, so maybe I should just breathe and see what happens. I'm not going down without a fight that's for sure. I've dreamt of becoming an archaeologist for too long to simply freak out at the unknown. Archaeology is all about discovering the unknown, and if I have to start with the basics, so be it. At least everyone in my group is really nice. There are only four others doing Roman studies. One other girl from America, two boys from England, and another boy from Italy. The department is also really supportive, and Durham has the reputation for having the nicest arch. staff of any school in Britain. Also, they love to party. Apparently the staff has a regular pub called the Victoria, where they all go. I can't imagine my undergrad proffs walking around wine in hand and talking to every student louder and louder throughout the evening, but that was my Wednesday night.

The Archaeology Department

And it isn't just the department. Everyone here drinks... a lot. There's wine at the fancy dinners, there's a bar downstairs in my college and a bar in every other college on campus (there's about 15), plus all the pubs in town about a ten minute walk away. Whew! I haven't really gotten into that, but I did go to a couple nice welcome meals, and I got to go to a international postgrad party, wherein I danced at a ceili (an Irish party for those of you who don't know). It was AWESOME!

The Durham Cathedral on the River Wear. I wish we were allowed to take pictures inside. 

On a more serious note, I officially matriculated, which is like reverse graduation where you dress in robes and nice clothes and are welcomed to the university. It took place in the Durham Cathedral, which is by far one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen in my entire life. Plus the courtyard where we lined up was where they shot scenes from Harry Potter, so while I was in my gown there I totally looked like a witch. That was pretty darn fantastic. The cathedral itself takes your breath away. It's almost 1000 years old and is always evolving, including the installation of a millenium glass window. You should all google it to see how gorgeous it is, or better yet, come visit me and see it for yourself!
Durham Cathedral courtyard. You can almost see the quidditch teams meeting.





5 comments:

  1. So THAT'S what a riverside is supposed to look like? I though it was supposed to look like the runoff of a garden hose. Heh. Who knew.

    I'm so incredibly excited for you you have NO idea! Eeeeeeek!!! I love you and miss you terribly already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beeteedubs you look even more gorgeous than ever. England suits you well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww, thank you Taters! I miss you so much too! We need to skype soon!

      Delete
    2. Yes PLEASE!!! I almost always have Thursday free, except for this one of course lol. But we'll plan for a date. Eeeeeeeekkk! I'm so excited for you I could cry, scream and jump all at once!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete