Tuesday, October 23, 2012

“The most important thing is to enjoy your life—to be happy—it's all that matters.” ― Audrey Hepburn

While this week has finally brought the torrential downpour of schoolwork I knew was coming, it has also been filled with some great times!


Firstly, I had no idea how much I missed soccer/football! I keep saying football here and people give me weird looks and ask if I mean American football. I say no, so then I go back to saying soccer and people look at me like I'm swearing up a storm. I just can't win!


But I digress. I am unbelievably out of shape but I love having this outlet. Our first game was last Sunday against Ustinov College. We came back from a two-nil deficit to tie it up with yours truly scoring the first goal of the season, and yesterday we played against Grey College, with a stunning four-zero victory!




I was huffing and puffing the entire hour due to a fabulous head cold my immune system decided to just let in, but the weather was so beautiful it was hard to care.




Plus I finally broke down and bought new cleats, or boots as they're called here, along with shin-guards and socks. I forgot how much I missed my room smelling like sweat and and freshly-cut grass. 









Belinda and I waiting for the train to Newcastle. 
I also took my first trip to Newcastle this week with Belinda. She needed to do some shopping, and outside of London's underground and Heathrow I hadn't seen any of England. It was miserably grey and misty and we were accosted several times for fabulous deals on haircuts and people asking for texting donations, but it was nice to get out and the train ride was relaxing. The countryside in sunshine or in rain really is always beautiful. I took some video to upload but it doesn't seem to be working. Maybe I'll try to get it on the next post.  

The Durham train station on a cold and cloudy day. 





This one is for you Mom. Notice the two L's!!! I was so excited. Belinda looked at me like I was crazy as I squealed and pulled out the camera. Oh well! 





Other fun stuff from this week included a pizza party with the St. Mary's postgraduates wherein I ate WAY too much. I also went on my first pub crawl for the Women's Football social. The theme was "dress-as-your-major." Wow can people here ever drink! I couldn't believe it. (Don't judge my one picture with alcohol please!) I had a lot of fun but as usual I was in at 12:30. Of course, again as per usual me, I went downstairs and cleaned up the Junior Common Room after a bunch of freshman trashed it because I didn't want to be fined. This event led to another character with whom I am now associated. Besides Hermione and Pam, you can add Monica from Friends. Again, you can thank Belinda for that.








Veera is a sad criminal and I (shockingly) am Indiana Jones. 



Eleanor, Hannah, and myself. 
















You would think that along with school work there isn't anything else I could possible have done this week...BUT YOU WOULD BE WRONG!!!! I have saved the best for last. Last Sunday I was in the MCR trying not to collapse asleep on top of books when I was invited to accompany a group to the Durham Cathedral for a nighttime walkthrough by candlelight! It was truly one of the most awe-inspiring and fun nights of my life. Sorry College Night at the Getty Villa, you have competition! The group got split at the entrance, but I ended up with two students studying history, so the three of us were nerding out and having a grand time looking at tombs, inscriptions, and memorials by candlelight while the choir sang and the organ played. Truly incredible.












1 comment: